Monday, October 19, 2009

Artist Statement

As a visual artist with interests in graphic design and painting, I feel I have two spaces to work. On one side, I use the canvas as an infinite space to walk into, escape and retreat. The other side considers the viewer firmly in front of the work.

My work explores the relationship of storytelling and identity. Through my own investigation of my identity and environment, I work to create and visually express ideas and concepts that transcend the boundaries of language. By sharing stories we are providing a conversation in which we can find connections to each other.

To be able to visually communicate your intention is paramount to both fields. For graphic design this means using creative and practical elements in the design. Messages are displayed with importance of hierarchy, scale and composition in mind. In this field your work is dependant on given parameters for you to create a visual exchange between the view and receiver.

In pursuing a studio art degree in painting, I have moved away from the viewer looking at my work on just a computer monitor or printout. I have found that panting helps me visually illustrate objects beyond what we normally see. I look to create an emotional imagery that centers around my personal views and experiences. Identity, storytelling, nature and human forms all provide the basic drive for my compositions. We each have a life story that has shaped who we are today and it is through reflection that we are able to gain an understanding of our identity and realize our connection to our environment. Choosing an image is very important if you are expecting it to be your language. An image left in silence can express the most powerful story every told.

No comments:

Post a Comment